Project Coordinator: Belgian Nuclear Research Centre (SCK•CEN)
The Belgian Nuclear Research Center SCK•CEN is a Foundation of Public Utility with a legal status according to private law. It is situated in Brussels and Mol, Belgium. The operational means comprise an annual grant for operations and investments provided on the federal government and income resulting from contract research and services. It has no shareholders. An independent Board of Governors appointed by the government governs it. A scientific advisory committee advises the Board on strategic issues. Its statutory activities are: i) give priority to research related to safety, radioactive waste management, protection of man and environment, management of fissile and other strategic materials and social implications as part of the pursuit of sustainable development; ii) develop, gather and spread the necessary knowledge through training and communication; iii) perform all services that are asked for in the domain in question, especially by the nuclear industry, the medical sector and the government; iv) make the necessary multidisciplinary scientific contacts concerning the energy problem.
Expertise related to the project
- The radiation protection dosimetry and calibration group at SCK•CEN has years of experience in personal dosimetry research in various fields.
- SCK•CEN has significant experience in neutron field characterizations and performance evaluation of personal neutron dosemeters.
- SCK•CEN was a partner in the EVIDOS project.
- SCK•CEN is still regularly performing neutron field characterizations at nuclear power plants, proton therapy facilities and other neutron radiation fields, which has led to multiple peer reviewed papers.
- SCK•CEN is very active in the fields of extremity and eye lens dosimetry for interventional radiology.
- SCK•CEN was a partner in the ORAMED project.
- SCK•CEN was involved in several projects on eye lens dosimetry (ELDO, EURALOC) for hospital workers.
Role in the project
SCK•CEN coordinates the PODIUM project and leads WP3. SCK-CEN is actively involved in WP1, WP2, and WP5.